Go Back   The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum > Model Railroading > Tips, Tricks, and Techniques!
Home Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Donate Chat! Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By trainmanmarsh
  • 8 Post By eTraxx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 AM
Brakeman

Rust Paint?

I can not find a paint that looks the color of rust. Would any one know if they make it? Or the best color thats close to it. Spray can would be the best. But will use any thing. Thanks every one
Old 06-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Brakeman

Send a message via Yahoo to DRD
Not sure what exactly you are trying to paint or what scale, but this one Amazon.com: Rust-Oleum 16Oz Rustmtlspray Paint Sv7769-838 Int/Ext Aerosol Primers: Home Improvement is pretty popular and widely available. Some say it has too much "texture" (it's almost like a powder coat finish is the best way I can describe it) for n-scale but I have painted some metal wheelsets with it and it looks good to me. NOTE: I'm told it is plastic compatible but it's not advertised as such so proceed with caution or use an appropriate barrier coat.

Last edited by DRD; 06-05-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:17 AM

I use acrylic Burnt Sienna the Americana brand. Other brands are Folk Art, & Apple Barrel etc. I keep a very large supply of these paints. These are small bottles that can be found at craft stores like Hobby Lobby & JoAnn Fabrics. They go on sale sometimes for less than a dollar. I usually dry brush this on for a weathered rust effect. I very seldom need the large coverage of spray paint. If I do I have used the cheap red oxide colored primers like at Walmart. Be careful with any spray paint on plastic. I try spraying some of the same scrap like the sprues or give it a quick shot underneath if possible to make sure it doesn't eat my project Hope this helps, let us know how your doing.

http://www.thewhistlepost.com/forums...l-roofing.html

Jim
Old 06-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
I use acrylic Burnt Sienna the Americana brand. Other brands are Folk Art, & Apple Barrel etc. I keep a very large supply of these paints. These are small bottles that can be found at craft stores like Hobby Lobby & JoAnn Fabrics. They go on sale sometimes for less than a dollar. I usually dry brush this on for a weathered rust effect. I very seldom need the large coverage of spray paint. If I do I have used the cheap red oxide colored primers like at Walmart. Be careful with any spray paint on plastic. I try spraying some of the same scrap like the sprues or give it a quick shot underneath if possible to make sure it doesn't eat my project Hope this helps, let us know how your doing.

Can you tell me how to dry brush, or know of any tutorials?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Engineer

Most model paint manafacturers make some type of rust color paint...it's your preference to what brand you like or can get. If you have an air brush you can thin the paint to desired amount and spray, if not you can use red oxide primer to represent a general rust color then dry brush on some similar shades to give some texture. Look at a picture of something rusty and you will notice several different shades, also artist chalk works well on a flat painted surface and there are many shades to represent rust. I did find this tutorial on a dry brushing technique on Google...it might help Drybrushing Miniatures Technique
If this is your first visit to The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, and view the full contents of TheWhistlePost.com including the Photo Gallery, Video/Audio/Text Chat, Classified Ads, Photo Contests, Social Groups, and more! Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please read FAQ. Thanks for joining us! We look forward to chatting with you and seeing your layout!

Click here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login above to gain full access to the site.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:02 PM
Brakeman

Rusting the easy way

Hello

When it comes to making something rusty there are many ways to do it. I use two different methods myself depending on how rusty you want the end product to turn out. For light rusting I use weathering Powders applied with 70% rubbing alcohol. For heavier rusting, like just about to go the scrap heap or close to it, I use Sophisticated Finishes Iron paint and rusting solution. It is available at most craft stores. What I do is paint the areas I want to be rusted with the iron paint, then cover those areas with rubber cement. After that I paint the model and letter it just as I would one that was going to look new. If I'm going for really rusty then I will dry brush the final color over everything instead of using the rubber cement and only let the paint show through in some areas. Then the fun part starts. Take the model and apply the rusting solution then insert the entire thing into a sealed plastic bag. After a couple of hours you will see that the rust has formed and even added streaks for you. it really is a neat process that can make some neat effects as seen below. Here is a link to a video on weathering model cars using the same idea. How to RUST a model car. - YouTube
Here are pictures of a Crane I did with this technique.

And here is a picture of one of my latest projects A critter for my lumber company. it still has more to be done but you get the idea.

I hope this is helpful. I hope one day to make a video of using this on model trains.

Espen L. Marsh
Attached Thumbnails
Rust Paint?-crane5.jpg   Rust Paint?-crane3.jpg   Rust Paint?-tlco4.jpg  
Old 06-05-2012, 11:48 PM
Brakeman

Thanks every 1 I think i will try trainmanmarsh idea.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:04 AM
Engineer

I posted a SBS (step by step) pretty much on my blog .. rusting up an oil tank

Small Oil Storage Tank Part II | Lugoff, Camden and Northern RR

Started here .. with the tank

then a coat of American Accents Terra Cotta from rattle can

then Burnt Umber Gouache

then thinned oil paints .. Burnt Sienna and Lamp Black

This was prepping for chipped and weathered paint using the hairspray technique. So next was sealing using a matt spray, then hairspray and paint

followed by chipping

and finally weathering powders

Close-up of finished tank

The point being that there isn't so much a 'rust paint' as layering using a orangy base spray followed by (in my case) water paints, oil paints and weathering powders. There's no 'set way' .. just whatever pigments you have on hand. The end result is much better then simply applying a brown paint and calling it rust. JMO.
L&CRR on Twitter
L&CRR on Facebook

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"
Old 06-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Engineer

Excellent paint & rust!
Old 06-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Conductor

Send a message via Yahoo to cajon
Took a swatch of rust color to the local Home Depot & had them make a pint of water based for around $5.00. Will make different shades of rust by adding white, brown, etc. It should last quite awhile!
PLEASE REGISTER
If this is your first visit to The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, and view the full contents of TheWhistlePost.com including the Photo Gallery, Video/Audio/Text Chat, Classified Ads, Photo Contests, Social Groups, and more! Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please read FAQ. Thanks for joining us! We look forward to chatting with you and seeing your layout!

Click here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login above to gain full access to the site.