Go Back   The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum > Fallen Flags > Seaboard Air Line (SAL)
Home Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Donate Chat! Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Seaboard

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 09:06 PM
Conductor

Seaboard's History

Seaboard Airline Railway (SAL) 1880-1967. The southern heartland road or the highway to the south.

Considered to be the first RR to bring the North to the South. Seaboard Air Line Railway was created in the 1880s by the consolidation of the Seaboard and Roanoke Railroad Which went back to the time of the earliest railroads in the U.S. Other smaller railroads would soon be incorperated and put into the hands of the railroad. In 1889 Seaboard leased it's control of the Georgia, Carolina and Northern Railway which gave it connection to Atlanta. In 1890 the Savannah, Americus and Montgomery Railway was formed between Lyons GA. and Montgomery AL. In 1895 after 5 years of service SA&M was sold under a Foreclosure to the Georgia and Alabama Railway which was formed by Seaboards founder John Skelton Williams. In 1896, he bought the Abbeville and Waycross Railroad that became part of the stretch of the Georgia and Alabama RR. Finally in 1899 Seaboard Bought the 1017 mile stretch of the Florida, Central and Peninsular Railroad, which started Seaboard's voyages from Savannah GA. to Jacksonville FL. A year later on July 1, 1900, the entire system was consolidated and reorganized as the Seaboard Air Line Railway. By that time Seaboard owned a 2600-mile network stretching from Virginia to Florida. In the Following years Seaboard bought the Lawrenceville to Loganville line from the Georgia, Carolina, and Northern Railway in 1901, and built a connection from Atlanta to Birmingham in 1904 by an SAL subsidiary called the Atlanta & Birmingham Air Line Railway. Seaboard absorbed the A&BAL shortly after completion of the line. On December 31, 1917, operations began on a new Savannah-Charleston line so now much of the Seaboard’s freight traffic that formerly passed through Columbia, S.C. was diverted to the new line. Seaboard Leased and bought the Georgia, Florida & Alabama in 1928-1930. In 1946 the company was reorganized as the Seaboard Air Line Railroad.

Modeling SAL scince 5 years old.
Seaboard Airline
Find me also at my new site
http://seaboarddude.proboards55.com/index.cgi
CHECK OUT MY LAYOUT PROGRESS:
http://www.thewhistlepost.com/forums...ead.php?t=7531

Last edited by Seaboard; 02-16-2007 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Conductor

Later years

By the 1950's, Seaboard had almost comprised of 4146 miles of railroad. 1558 in Florida, 846 in Georgia, 736 in South Carolina, 630 in North Carolina, and the remainder in Virginia and Alabama. In the oncoming years, Seaboard made a success of the company emloying over 18,000 employees. In 1951 it transported 43 million tons of freight and 1,465,186 passengers throughout the south eastern U.S using 399 diesels, 213 steam locomotives, 24,000 freight cars, and 490 passenger cars. Seaboard had absorbed many other small railroads during the time period, like the Macon, Dublin & Savannah Railroad in 1958. Finally after 80 going on 90 years of service, Seaboard merged with it's arch rival Atlantic Coastline to form the Seaboard Coastline Railroad in 1967. From that time on, Seaboard continued to be just as succesful from the 70's to the 80's.

Seaboard Airline
Old 02-17-2007, 04:59 AM
Conductor

Send a message via AIM to lyates Send a message via Yahoo to lyates
This information is very enjoyable Sean I personally like reading about the history of the different RR's and yours was very well written and informative. Good job keep up the good work.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:45 AM
Conductor

Thanks Lee, theres alot more history in it than what I had gathered over the years. This is just the basic happenings and things that the RR had done to expand and become larger. There are some more things bout it that I'll post later.

Seaboard Airline
Old 02-18-2007, 09:49 PM

Send a message via MSN to ak-milw
Sean,
You are off to a great start in this section, You can really tell when someone loves the railroad they are modeling!!

Andy Kramer, Modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin--- The Milwaukee Road is alive and well and running in my basement!
MRHA member since 2003
www.milwaukeemodelers.net
PLEASE REGISTER
If this is your first visit to The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, and view the full contents of TheWhistlePost.com including the Photo Gallery, Video/Audio/Text Chat, Classified Ads, Photo Contests, Social Groups, and more! Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please read FAQ. Thanks for joining us! We look forward to chatting with you and seeing your layout!

Click here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login above to gain full access to the site.
Old 02-19-2007, 12:27 AM
Conductor

You sure can tell that I love it Andy. It's not a very comin road to model. I'm only 1 out of a few people who model it. I've always loved it's paint schemes.
It's an awesome road that I choose to stick with for a long time.
I still like the newer Seaboard versions like SCL, seaboard system, and even CSX. But I mostly like the original SAL.

Seaboard Airline