Go Back   The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum > Model Railroading > Narrow Gauge
Home Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Donate Chat! Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Engineer

Progress on the BB&E

Well, all my new friends (I love this site). Progress has been happening on the layout, aside from acquiring new, and unnecessary, motive power.

Tie laying at the western terminus, Henderson, has commenced. I have attached a couple of photos.

Ties are handcut on my table saw from western red cedar. I use western red cedar because I acquired a small pile of clear boards from a friend who worked at a cedar home factory and collected rejected bits and pieces.

By the way, all the ties you see in the photos, both those that have been laid and those in my tie box, were cut from a single 1.5" x 3.5" x 36" board. When I built my first On30 layout, I didn't have the western red cedar and cut my ties from cedar fence boards. A single 6' fence board will render an astonishing pile of ties.

Tie dimensions are scale 8" x 8" x 6'. I chose these dimensions for a variety of reasons. First, the "heavier" narrow gauge railroads used ties 8" wide. I chose the 8" depth because it is easier to cut a square than a rectangle, and the excessive height will be buried in ballast and scenery. The 6' length is fairly typical. I like the look of the 6' length with the 30" gauge as it enhances that "narrow gauge" look.

You will notice that the ties are not stained. The next step in tracklaying is to hit the ties with a light coat of black spray paint. I use any cheap spray paint I can find. Following the spray paint, the tops of the ties are sanded down to bare wood. This ensures a nice even surface on which to lay rail. Following the sanding, the ties are stained with a mixture of india ink and denatured alcohol.

The first step in laying rail is to pre-build the turnout components on the workbench. I will do a step by step on my methods, with photos, when I get started on the phase.

And that is progress so far. I will post more as more happens.

Reg
Attached Thumbnails
Progress on the BB&E-85small.jpg   Progress on the BB&E-86small.jpg  
Old 08-08-2009, 09:35 AM
Engineer

Send a message via Yahoo to Trainman1965
Looking Great and keep the work photos coming as you move along.
Old 08-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Banned

looks great and looks like its comming along good. keep us up to date!
Old 08-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Engineer

8/08 Progress

A lot is happening on the layout this weekend. The weather is not conducive to completing outdoor honey-do projects, is also keeping my little airplane in its hangar, and my wife is gone for the weekend.

Frame 87 shows most of Henderson. All of the ties are down, except for the lead to the turntable. Though the final location for the turntable has been determined and the pit cut. Some of the ties have been sanded. In fact, as I am writing this, all of the ties have been sanded.

As an aside, I am not completely happy with the location of the turntable, but you can only do so much in an 18" width and 1/4" scale.

Frame 88 is a closer view of the transition point between the completely sanded ties and those that have not yet felt the sanding block. Included in the photo is my trusty old sanding block. I have no recollection of when I acquired this block, but it I am sure it was very inexpensive.

You want to have a sanding block with a hard sanding surface. I have tried power sanders and those clever new sanding sponges. But neither work well because of the padded sanding surface. If you are short on funds, a block of wood, rounded at the leading bottom edges, with a piece of sand paper tacked onto it, works just fine. I use 100 grit for this task.

The last frame shows ties that have been completely sanded. The usual objective is to sand until all the black paint has been removed from the tops of all of the ties. However, note in the photo that one tie had a sliver out of it prior to the application of the black paint. Sanding down to this level would not have worked out well.

Some more work will get done today. I need to complete the shingling job on the Big River station. At that point I can temporarily put that project aside and concentrate my efforts on Henderson. The Big River station won't be completely finished, but it is far enough along that I can clean up its materials and put it aside.

Why did I start the Big River station first in the first place? You ask. The plan to which the current layout is being built is the second plan (I am preparing a long narrative on the history of this plan). The first plan was much more ambitious. Too ambitious for the time and money I have to spend. In that first plan, both Big River and Henderson were going to be considerably larger than they are in the current plan, and the station now destined for Big River was originally intended for Henderson, with a much larger station planned for Big River.

There is no room for a station larger than the one under construction, so it will be installed at Big River. I have kit for a cute little station at Henderson.

Well, off to the basement. The first task of the day will be to finish the shingling on the Big River station. I will then start building turnout components.

Reg
Attached Thumbnails
Progress on the BB&E-87small.jpg   Progress on the BB&E-88small.jpg   Progress on the BB&E-91small.jpg  
Old 08-09-2009, 04:37 PM

Talking When THE BOSS is away...trains run!

It's looking to be off to a great start! Ya know, it's kinda funny how either LOTS gets done or absolutely NOTHING at all when THE BOSS is gone...
I guess I'll find out this week as well, seeing I'm in the same boat!

PLEASE REGISTER
If this is your first visit to The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, and view the full contents of TheWhistlePost.com including the Photo Gallery, Video/Audio/Text Chat, Classified Ads, Photo Contests, Social Groups, and more! Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please read FAQ. Thanks for joining us! We look forward to chatting with you and seeing your layout!

Click here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login above to gain full access to the site.
Old 08-09-2009, 08:14 PM
Conductor

Quote:
acquiring new, and unnecessary, motive power
Don't we all?

Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 AM
Engineer

Things are gonna slow up this week. Work is very busy, and we have the granddaughter for the week. I did manage to build and lay one turnout and about 15" of track. But that is probably "it" for the week.

Reg
Old 08-10-2009, 08:01 PM
Fireman

Send a message via MSN to Daryl Send a message via Yahoo to Daryl
This is GREAT another hand lay junkie whoo hooo come into chat some evening
Old 08-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
This is GREAT another hand lay junkie whoo hooo come into chat some evening
Yeah, I love it. In 1/4" scale it looks good, it is quite inexpensive, and it is WONDERFUL therapy after a hard day.

Reg
Old 08-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Engineer

Well, I got the first turnout installed and now about 3' of track! I actually got to work for a little bit last night. I needed the therapy.

I will be installing the turnout motor on that first turnout and then moving on. I will see about some photos in the next few days. It is a very busy time at the moment.

Reg
PLEASE REGISTER
If this is your first visit to The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, and view the full contents of TheWhistlePost.com including the Photo Gallery, Video/Audio/Text Chat, Classified Ads, Photo Contests, Social Groups, and more! Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please read FAQ. Thanks for joining us! We look forward to chatting with you and seeing your layout!

Click here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login above to gain full access to the site.