Go Back   The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum > Model Railroading > HO Scale
Home Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Donate Chat! Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Fireman

Smile Mantua presidental train

I collect Mantua(0ld not Tyco or Modle Power) I have 2 complete sets
of their Presidental series , in boxes with certificates. How would I find out how much they are worth???? I also have 5 extra Preident Adams ebay not much help, I see PAs from$50 t0 $200??

Ed
Old 01-31-2009, 06:14 PM
Brakeman

Ed, to be very honest, Mantua has never been considered seriously collectible. Unlike with Lionel, or in N-gauge, there has never been any organized collecting associated with the HO hobby. Some individuals do collect things like Tyco and the like, plus there is interest in really early items like the brass Mantua and Varney models. But even then, the general prices on such things are governed largely by what a particular buyer happens to be willing to pay on a given day and this varies widely.

In my experience, Mantua speciality locomotives are generally valued about the same as, or a little above, ordinary Mantua locos of the same wheel arrangement. Thus, what you see say a late model (w/can motor equipped, large red box) Mantua 4-6-2 going for on eBay is probably reasonably close to what you might expect for one of the specialty models with the same wheel arrangement.

NYW&B

Last edited by NYW&B; 01-31-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Fireman

NYW&B I pretty much suspected that. I really just like the hunting & digging for them. I have several sets that are still sealed in the box. At train shows, they seem to be a lot higher than some of the other brands. My brother has all the F-7s they produced He has one of 2 that were made (proto type samples). Not that any of this matters . I just like this brand.
Ed
Old 02-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Engineer

Eddie I have found in this hobby you can collect stuff that worth money or collect stuff you just like. I see people asking ridiclous ammounts of money for old AHM Rivarossi DC powered locomotives that are at best junk even brand new out of the box. I know I have a dozen or so to prove it. You can but the new generation one's that run much much better and are DCC compatable for almost the same prices you see the old one selling for but there are still a lot of people buying them. I happen to like the old Mantua's just for the simple fact that they are made much better then the newer pieces.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Conductor

I'll add a "me, too" to this thread. Most of my steamers are Mantua and I like 'em a lot. Not the greatest, but not the worst on the market either. The newer Mantua's I have run very nice, very smooth, and the best Mantua's I have are the Master Trainbuilder series with can motors that are fine runners. In fact, I got ahold of a Mantua 4-4-2 Lindbergh Special and I think it's the best-looking Mantua loco I own and second only to my "one and only" brass Pennsy Mountain M-1. Well, that ain't right--I like my other Master Trainbuilder models just as much!

I'm right sorry Mantua went out of business. They will be missed.

I have to support NYW&B, too...Mantua turns up to be worth what a person is willing to pay for it. I've haunted E-bay enough to have seen a fair number of Mantua engines pass thru there and some go for low money and some go for stupid money, but on average, they go for less than retail prices from what I've seen, and I'd have to say in fairness--I wouldn't bid up too high for Mantua "anything" because if prices go "stupid," I drop out and wait for another "reasonable" auction to come along, and then I buy. Always works out for me.
PLEASE REGISTER
If this is your first visit to The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, and view the full contents of TheWhistlePost.com including the Photo Gallery, Video/Audio/Text Chat, Classified Ads, Photo Contests, Social Groups, and more! Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please read FAQ. Thanks for joining us! We look forward to chatting with you and seeing your layout!

Click here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login above to gain full access to the site.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:18 AM
Brakeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie D View Post
NYW&B I pretty much suspected that. I really just like the hunting & digging for them. I have several sets that are still sealed in the box. At train shows, they seem to be a lot higher than some of the other brands. My brother has all the F-7s they produced He has one of 2 that were made (proto type samples). Not that any of this matters . I just like this brand.
Ed
Actually, Ed, I am a long time fan of Mantua as well, although my interest in them largely centers around their very early models (1930's-1950's). Those were composed of a combination of brass and Zamac parts. I wrote about the history of these items, originally referred to by Mantua as their "Master Model Builders Series", in the July 1990 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

There's also a lot of unusual and interesting history associated with Mantua's early days. Certain of their early models were actually done in OO scale but were sold as HO during the period when it was uncertain whether OO or HO would become the dominant small scale. Mantua's later HO old-time mogul and ten-wheelers are also decidedly over-sized and are often used today as the basis for Sn3 models by hobbyists in that scale. And...Mantua was essentially the originators of Ready-To-Run trains!

There has always been a very significant hobbyist interest in Mantua's locomotives but probably never as much as in the 60's and 70's, when a number of independent companies offered special modification kits to customize various Mantua engines. There was even a small book published detailing the construction of a wide range of otherwise unavailable and unique models that Mantua locomotives could be converted into!

Enjoy your collection.

NYW&B

Last edited by NYW&B; 02-02-2009 at 08:23 AM.