Go Back   The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum > Model Railroading > G Scale
Home Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Donate Chat! Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2008, 12:20 AM
Engineer

Worlds Longest Model Train

Sorry guys, I dropped the ball on this one. I thought I'd posted the info to this here but when I came back to update it, I could not find it. Here it is...

Worlds Longest Model Train

Directly from their site,
"HISTORY
11 Years ago the record for the Worlds Longest Model Train was held by a railroad club in Perth, Australia in HO Scale at 3.8 scale miles and consisted of 650 HO scale wagons and 4 locomotives. This record was set June 3, 1996. The record, we understand has since moved to Germany, but also in HO scale .
WHERE
To our knowledge the record has never been attempted in G Scale. The railroad we plan to run it on is the Dynamite, Rio Verde & Eastern Railroad in Scottsdale, AZ which has 3,800 linear feet of track on a double track main, with each main at 1,252 linear feet. Utilizing all 1,252 feet on one main will be 6.91 scale miles and would beat the German record by 2.1 scale miles.

WHEN
After three failed attempts over the last year, the fourth attempt was held on November 15th of 2008. Due to lack of help, I volunteered to be an engineer.

November 15th, 9a.m., I was out there. This attempt was made using 26 locomotives and 507 double stack container cars. The train did not start from a stop as a whole, but rather divided into 13 sections with each section consisting of two locomotives pulling 39 cars. Each section had 1 engineer and 1 conductor. The conductor was responsible for fixing any derailments on the fly. I was engineer of section four.

In theory, section one would slowly start accelerating. Section two would then slowly speed up and couple to the back of section one and on down the line until all thirteen sections were coupled and the entire seven scale miles of train was moving as one unit.

From Lori Cartwright, "This attempt was so much different than when it done in HO - there were so many more challenges and variables. Each time the record was set in HO scale, it was on staight track, with no gradient, no curvature issues or manpower issues and there certainly were no weather issues." We had to deal with 26' diameter curves, a 3% downhill grade, a 2% uphill grade, 13 separate engineers, wind that kept blowing over our double stacks, and battery problems just to name a few!

We spent all day trying. I was there from 9a.m. to 5:30p.m. as the last rays of sunlight disappeared. We just couldn't make it happen. The man in charge (Rick) said, "If it was easy, everybody would be doing it." We did however, create some very realistic accidents! With that many engineers, locomotives, and cars, when something started to go wrong, it snowballed... AND FAST! The worst casualty of the day was when one of the locomotives took a leap off the edge of a trestle, landing in the water feature below with a nice splash and quickly sinking to the bottom. Even though we failed...spectacularly... I had so much fun, I couldn't stop grinning until well after I'd gone to bed for the night. It then took me several nights of sleep before I could dream of anything other than G scale trains! Evidently the Cartwrights have decided to not throw in the towell just yet as they are contemplating trying again in January.

First up is an very poor aerial image of the G scale layout -

The rectangular building in the bottom left is the train barn (a split staging yard) roughly 10'x20'. I found that the layout was so huge, I had problems taking pictures of it... they just didn't show much due to the size...

...and several of the bridges...

a shot of one of many of the meetings we had...

Of course, we had to have a special car for the event at the very front of the train...

A corny one of yours truly...

and the last shot is inside the train barn showing the locomotives recharging in between accidents and other failed attempts....

Last edited by TrainNut; 11-25-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Dispatcher /Administrator

Send a message via MSN to TallDude Send a message via Yahoo to TallDude Send a message via Skype™ to TallDude
Awesome! I had heard about this a while back, but never saw an update anywhere.. I assume the attempt was Nov. 15th 2008 instead of 2009. Thanks for posting it!

Tell your friends about http://www.thewhistlepost.com

Old 11-25-2008, 11:56 AM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallDude View Post
I assume the attempt was Nov. 15th 2008 instead of 2009.
Oops. Thanks. Edited above.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:56 PM
Conductor

I've been mildly following this adventure for awhile. You are the first person who I even remotely know associated with it. Keep us posted!
Old 11-26-2008, 01:02 AM
Engineer

Okay, I managed to track down the guy who did the filming. Here is a link to his site where you can find a short video with some information about the layout where the attempts have taken place...

Entertainment - Text

He has also stated that he will have a DVD of the previous attempts ready for sale by mid December. I may have to buy one as I think he was filming me at one point.
If this is your first visit to The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, and view the full contents of TheWhistlePost.com including the Photo Gallery, Video/Audio/Text Chat, Classified Ads, Photo Contests, Social Groups, and more! Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please read FAQ. Thanks for joining us! We look forward to chatting with you and seeing your layout!

Click here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login above to gain full access to the site.