Go Back   The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum > Model Railroading > The Craftsman's Bench
Home Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Donate Chat! Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 11:40 PM
Engineer

You are mile ahead of me, brother. But I will catch up. Looking very nice!

Reg
Old 05-02-2011, 06:49 AM
Engineer

Nice work Len,
That is going to be one huge building
I want to get started on my mill but have to finish my current project first.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Engineer

Exterior walls - including windows - are done.

That's about it for now. We're off to Galveston here in a bit to spend Mother's Day with my Mom.

As always, Thanks for looking and commenting!
Old 05-07-2011, 06:51 PM
Dispatcher /Administrator

Send a message via MSN to TallDude Send a message via Yahoo to TallDude Send a message via Skype™ to TallDude
Looking good! I like the fact that the windows are open and closed randomly... nice touch.

Tell your friends about http://www.thewhistlepost.com

Old 05-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Engineer

Very nice looking, the windows came out great. What did you use to paint or stain the walls...nice color. I am going to try some red and brown ink alcohol wash on my mill, hope it turns out as good as yours.
If this is your first visit to The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, and view the full contents of TheWhistlePost.com including the Photo Gallery, Video/Audio/Text Chat, Classified Ads, Photo Contests, Social Groups, and more! Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please read FAQ. Thanks for joining us! We look forward to chatting with you and seeing your layout!

Click here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login above to gain full access to the site.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:56 AM

Same here Len on the windows nice touch.

http://www.thewhistlepost.com/forums...l-roofing.html

Jim
Old 05-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Engineer

Kevin, Gary, Jim - Thanks for the comments!

Here's the basic stains and washes.

A&I wash - Bombay India Ink thinned with 70% isopropyl alcohol - black and Van Dyke brown (a little more red than plain brown) - sometimes I mix a drop or two of black in the brown to darken it a bit
craft paints - Americana Heritage Brick and FolkArt Barnwood - thinned about 2:1 or so with windshield washer fluid
MinWax Express Color Oak - straight from the tube - rub it in and wipe off the excess before it dries

The base framework is stained with the brown/black A&I wash - the outside walls with the Heritage Brick - the natural wood interior with the Minwax - window sashes and doors with the Barnwood. All the exterior got a couple applications of the V/D Brn A&I wash.

So far, so good... I did deviate from the instructions a bit by building up the walls with the windows and doors installed before assembling them on the base framework. The instructions called for placing the wall framework on the base framework, installing the windows from the inside and then installing the siding and exterior window & door details from the outside. Lot easier doing all that flat on the workbench instead of on the partially assembled model...

Thanks again folks for looking & commenting!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Engineer

Been a while since I posted but I have made a little progress on the sawmill.

Like I've done on the other kits, I'm getting the basic structure done and saving the details for later. Roof is removable so we can add interior later.

Thanks for looking! C&C always welcome!

Old 06-25-2011, 12:14 PM

Send a message via MSN to ak-milw
Hey Len, Looks like you got more than a little more done.... nice going!!

Andy Kramer, Modeling the Milwaukee Road in Wisconsin--- The Milwaukee Road is alive and well and running in my basement!
MRHA member since 2003
www.milwaukeemodelers.net
Old 06-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Dispatcher /Administrator

Send a message via MSN to TallDude Send a message via Yahoo to TallDude Send a message via Skype™ to TallDude
Looks great!! Out of curiosity, whats the dimensions of that?

Tell your friends about http://www.thewhistlepost.com

PLEASE REGISTER
If this is your first visit to The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, and view the full contents of TheWhistlePost.com including the Photo Gallery, Video/Audio/Text Chat, Classified Ads, Photo Contests, Social Groups, and more! Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please read FAQ. Thanks for joining us! We look forward to chatting with you and seeing your layout!

Click here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login above to gain full access to the site.