Go Back   The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum > General Forums > The Caboose
Home Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Donate Chat! Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Engineer

East Broad Top Equipment Pictures

Hey guys. SDkid(Chris) and I were in chat and were discussing the Southern Pacific Open-Air excursion cars because I wanted to have three or four of them and I wanted to build them myself.

This led to us searching for prototype pictures, which he finally found(whew! It took us a while). But I remembered the East Broad Top flatcars with benches and railings for passengers.

This sent me searching the internet for pics of EBT flatcars with benches and railings. That led me to their site where they have photographs of all of their equipment. I found a lot of stuff that I didn't even know they owned.

I'm starting this thread so that I can post up pics of the stuff that I found on there. I'll put it up in batches for each type of car/loco/equipment piece.

The first one up is passenger equipment!

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail
Old 12-24-2009, 01:25 AM
Engineer

Passenger Stuff(this isn't just coaches!)

I am attaching pictures of two EBT Combines, coaches, cabeese, flatcars w/ benches and railings, parlor cars, and I think that's it... You can probably tell what the stuff is by looking at it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

The flatcars with benches, in addition to the two converted boxcars were made to increase capacity on the trains. They don't have very many original passenger cars or combines because the passenger operations ended shortly before the common carrier freight operations ceased in 1956.
Attached Thumbnails
East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-combine-1.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-combine-2.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-ebt-box2.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-ebt-coach.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-ebt-flat2.jpg  

East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-flatcar-benches-railings.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-green-normal-caboose.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-red-special-caboose.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-parlor.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-boxcar.jpg  

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail

Last edited by RRManiac; 06-12-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Editing the information on equipment in accordance with a post later correcting some mistakes
Old 12-24-2009, 01:31 AM

Hey Brian that looks like a lot of fun projects there. I like the colors too. Are you going to stay with the prototype or use them for your own free lance.

http://www.thewhistlepost.com/forums...l-roofing.html

Jim
Old 12-24-2009, 01:38 AM
Engineer

Freight Cars!(Not just hoppers!)

Here are pics of the few different EBT freight cars.

Some of these have special stories and histories to them.

Here are the most interesting histories for the cars:

The flatcar was found with 3 large pine tree growing up through it. These trees were later chopped down and the car was pulled over to the shops and repaired. As far as I know, it can be seen if one searches through the yard somewhere

The odd-looking hopper without bay doors underneath is one of the very few EBT Side-dumping hopper cars. They were specially built and only a couple of them are still remaining and can also be found somewhere in the yard

The rest of the original side-dump hopper cars were rebuilt into new configurations.

The large, odd-looking car that looks like a giant weight is exactly what it looks like. It's a giant weight car used to calibrate the three different scales that the EBT maintained and operated during it's freight days. In truth, the "giant" comment was an exagguration. It weighed a mere 15 tons and is much smaller compared to a standard gauge weight car. It's in the Rockhill Furnace yard somewhere...

The weight car is usually put on display in the summer.

The 4-bay hopper is one of what used to be two 4-bay hopper cars owned by the EBT. The sister-car of this hopper was converted back to a 3-bay hopper car. Both the original version of the 4-bay hopper(now a 3-bay) and the remaining 4-bay can be found amidst the many standard 3-bay hopper cars. To clarify, I did not mean standard gauge when referring to the "many standard 3-bay hopper cars." I was saying that it was the standard coal-hauling hopper car used by the east Broad Top.

The tank car was one of about 3 or 4 tank cars. It was originally a flatcar, but had railings attached to accomodate the tank. The tank cars were built during freight operations. During the early tourist days, the water column was not operable. They pushed this car up a hill next to the coal bunker and ran a tube down to the engine's level with a valve to open/close the flow of water. They simply put it into the water hatch, opened the valve and put water in, then closed the valve and took the hose out.

Following the tank car are pictures of a very special kind of EBT hopper. In 1905, the EBT purchased 50 hopper cars second-hand from the Hancock & Calumet. These cars were originally built from wood. Partway through World War I, the EBT added sheet metal to the inside to extend their lives. They also rebuilt the cars with Vulcan trucks and modern (for the time) safety appliances. None of these cars exist anymore.

Hopper #800 is another of the side-door hoppers. However, unlike #802, it has not been restored.

Hopper #809 is a special EBT hopper that was rebuilt with horizontal doors for slag service. There are several of these cars in Mt. Union. I'm sure there might be one in Rockhill Furnace, but most are in Mt. Union.
Attached Thumbnails
East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-ebt-4-bay-hopper.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-ebt-boxcars.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-ebt-old-flatcar.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-ebt-side-dump-hopper.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-ebt-standard-3-bay-hoppers.jpg  

East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-ebt-tank-car.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-picture-16-r-kpg226-h-ccar.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-picture-18-donaldson-pg-56.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-ebt-hopper-800.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-ebt-hopper-809.jpg  

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail

Last edited by RRManiac; 11-28-2010 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Editing the information on equipment in accordance with a later post correcting some mistakes
Old 12-24-2009, 01:46 AM
Engineer

Steam Locos

There is, of all of the remaining steam locomotives remaining, one that interests me the most.

EBT #3, an 0-6-0 steam switcher, was purchased as a standard gauge locomotive to switch the yard in Mount Union and also used to switch the coal cleaning plant not far from the yard.

It is currently stored next to the Mount Union Connecting Railroad Company's Plymouth Industrial locomotive, still in the Mount Union area, not surprisingly.

The others are the seven 2-8-2 Mikados, No's. 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18. The No. 12, nicknamed "Millie," was the smallest and least poweful of the six.

On a final note, the EBT's seven mikados were purchased after one of the people, sometimes known on a railroad or in the military as the "brass," whose name I can only remember as Mr. Seibert purchased a 2-6-2 prairie, EBT #11, and was so pleased with the success of this locomotive that he began ordering the mikados as soon as he could. The #11 was the very first East Broad Top locomotive to have a trailing truck.

After the mikados is a picture of the #11 prairie.

The last two images are of the East Broad Top's M-1 doodlebug.
Attached Thumbnails
East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-0-6-0-steam-switcher-standard-gauge-no.-3.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-mikado-1.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-mikado-2.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-mikado-3.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-mikado-4.jpg  

East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-mikado-5.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-mikado-6.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-ebt-2-6-2-prairie-11.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-ebt-gas-electric-m-1.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-ebt-gas-electric-m-1-2.jpg  

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail

Last edited by RRManiac; 11-28-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Editing the information on equipment in accordance with a post later correcting some mistakes
PLEASE REGISTER
If this is your first visit to The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, and view the full contents of TheWhistlePost.com including the Photo Gallery, Video/Audio/Text Chat, Classified Ads, Photo Contests, Social Groups, and more! Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please read FAQ. Thanks for joining us! We look forward to chatting with you and seeing your layout!

Click here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login above to gain full access to the site.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:04 AM
Engineer

Steamer Note and EBT Diesel Power pics (OMG! Diesels on the EBT!!!!)

*Note 1: Notice that most of the steam locos are bearing white flags, signalling that they are being run as extras. However, the white flags are only a decoration now. I don't remember if the mine runs were ever actually operated on a schedule. The current EBT excursion schedule has trains running at 11:00 AM, 1:00 PM, and 3:00 PM.
*Note 2: The #12 "Millie," is not able to be run. Shortly before a federal mandate stated that all steam-boiler type engines had to be re-certified with the FRA, she was undergoing her usual inspection, along with all of the other locos. They found that her firebox was caved in.
*Note 3: It is expected that #12 will not be able to be run ever again. It would not be cost efficient, as the parts would cost a fortune. Once she was repaired, she would not be able to run as it would also cost easily another $10,000 at least to have her re-certified.
*Note 4: No. 15 is the only one of the six able to be operated because it is the only re-certified engine.

Now then, on to the most unexpected of all of the pieces of equipment, EBT Diesel Power!!!!

These were not run as part of the original railroad. Because of the gap created by only having one legally/physically operable steam locomotive running tourist trips out to Colgate Grove and back, the railroad was at a loss for a small yard switcher capable of moving old equipment and engines(yes they have to move the engines, too!). They ordered two industrial locomotives, the M-4 in 1978 and the M-6 in 1992 that were originally built by the Plymouth Locomotive Works to be used to move equipment around. It can usually be seen doing light yard chores throughout the week and on some weekends, for those who are patient enough to sit and watch them!

The center-cab diesel switcher resembles the GE 44-tonner, but it is not. It was originally a GE 50-tonner, but a previous owner increased it's tonnage to 55 tons, effectively making it a GE 55-tonner. It is normally seen working during the fall acting as back-up power for the steam engines during the Fall Spectacular event on the East Broad Top.
Attached Thumbnails
East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-m-4.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-m-6.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-ge-55-tonner.jpg  

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail

Last edited by RRManiac; 06-12-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:06 AM
Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdust View Post
Hey Brian that looks like a lot of fun projects there. I like the colors too. Are you going to stay with the prototype or use them for your own free lance.
I only intend to model a couple of coaches, a combine, and the two flatcars with the railings. Read through the rest of the posts. I found some really interesting equipment.

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail
Old 12-24-2009, 02:21 AM
Engineer

Track Cars, Speeders, and Special-Usage equipment

The East Broad Top constructed three different gas-electric locomotives from various parts. They were, as follows: The M-1, M-2, and M-3.

The M-2 now exists in records and no further. I couldn't find any pictures of it .

The M-1 is a marvel of railroad equipment. It is a doodlebug(which also used to be paired with it's own coach) and it is run at least once a year, usually on November 28. I almost had a chance to ride it, in fact I saw them "warming it up" for the ride the next day, while on my way to my Dad's house. I was really upset about it . It is mainly a marvel because it has never been restored once. It has been very well cared for and still has all of it's original parts and all of it's original everything.

The M-3 gas-mechanical track car was built with a small Ford engine under it's hood and was used mainly as a track inspection vehicle. You can now pay for a special ticket for a small group, probably only four or five people at a time, to take a ride down the East Broad Top mainline heading south of the Rockhill Furnace yard and shops complex.

I am also including speeders in this post, as that will finish up the rest of my pics. I hope to get more on my computer at some point in time, but for now this is it!

The EBT owns several speeders. I picked my two favorites, but they also had the box-ish type speeders as well.

The "Silver Sightseer" as it is called, is a small speeder that has a Ford Model B gasoline engine "under the hood." All of the steel sheeting around and near it on the tracks was added by the East Broad Top more or less as a housing. All modifications to this speeder after purchase were done in the car shops in Orbisonia.

The other speeder was only able to be made operable by removing parts from the engine of another speeder, which currently resides in the Rockhill car shops in Orbisonia. It was only able to accept these transplanted parts because they have similar motors. You are able to see the un-operable speeder on the car shop tour which you can go on by purchasing a ticket in the ticket office in the Orbisonia station.

I'm sorry for my lack of photos of most of the speeders, but I can get ahold of them if you would like to see them.
Attached Thumbnails
East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-speeder-1.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-silver-sightseer-speeder.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-m-3.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-m-4.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-m-6.jpg  

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail

Last edited by RRManiac; 06-12-2010 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Editing the information on equipment in accordance with a post later correcting some mistakes
Old 12-24-2009, 04:06 AM
Engineer

Fill-in Pics 1st Batch

Because there are so many pics of EBT equipment available to us, I went through and found tons of pics of equipment and saved them to share with you. You can probably find even more pics at the site that I found most of mine: Spike Systems

You may have to search through them for a little bit.

I did manage to find pics of the M-1 doodlebug. The M-2, regretably, was retired after only 2 years of service. She was also a doodlebug, but never had pictures taken of her and she exists now only as a memory, bound between two covers of a book on a plain, 2-dimensional sheet of paper...

I also found pics of the M-5, several pics of freight equipment, current pics of 0-6-0 #3 in Mount Union Enginehouse, which was recently restored for regular use. As a clarification statement here, I am referring to the enginehouse being restored for use. EBT #3 still slumbers in it's original stall in the Mount Union Enginehouse, waiting for some kind soul to just waltz along and restore it. I wonder what the chances of that happening are?

I found pics of one of the EBT handcars, a black-and-white photo of some track equipment, and even more pics of the M-3 and M-4.

I found some pics that I am unable to identify what exactly they are or what they would have been used for. I found a pic of another caboose, which was regrettably intentionally torched after the EBT ceased operations and sold to the Kovalchick Salvage Co. It was later realized that they torched a piece of important history and go to great lengths to prevent more fires. A coach was also set ablaze the same time the caboose was.

The cabeese on the East Broad Top today have been with the railroad since the 1920s. After a small amount of additional research recently, I learned that the caboose was not owned by the East Broad Top at the end of freight operation in 1956. It was privately owned by somebody who apparantly purchased it from the railroad before the 1920s and so it was removed from their roster.

But I am rambling. Here is the first 10 pics.
Attached Thumbnails
East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-0-6-0-mount-union-yard-0-4-0t-mount-union-yard.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-0-6-0-front.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-0-6-0-tender.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-0-6-0-wheel-details.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-box-2.jpg  

East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-car-interior.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-classic-boxcar.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-classic-freight-cars-1.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-classic-freight-cars-2.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-coach-2.jpg  

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail

Last edited by RRManiac; 06-12-2010 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Editing the information on equipment in accordance with a post later correcting some mistakes
Old 12-24-2009, 04:13 AM
Engineer

Fill-in Pics 2nd Batch

Here is the second batch of my many pics that I found.

My pic of the M-1 doodlebug is included in this batch.

There is a pic of a large metallic box that appears to be covered in rivets. I think it might be a component of a boiler, a firebox perhaps? Maybe one of you people that are in the more smarticles(random-people talk for smart) area of steam engines can shed some light on what exactly that is.
Attached Thumbnails
East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-coach-2.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-combine-3.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-ebt-flat-rbt.-passenger.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-green-handcar.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-hopper-orbisonia-yard.jpg  

East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-inside-boiler-maybe.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-m-1.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-m-3-pic-2.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-m-3-pic-3.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-m-4-pic-1.jpg  

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail
PLEASE REGISTER
If this is your first visit to The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, and view the full contents of TheWhistlePost.com including the Photo Gallery, Video/Audio/Text Chat, Classified Ads, Photo Contests, Social Groups, and more! Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please read FAQ. Thanks for joining us! We look forward to chatting with you and seeing your layout!

Click here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login above to gain full access to the site.