Go Back   The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum > General Forums > The Caboose
Home Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Donate Chat! Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2009, 04:19 AM
Engineer

Fill-in Pics 3rd Batch

Here is the 3rd batch of still more EBT pics.

I managed to find some pics of the hoppers in the yard at Mount Union.

I also got ahold of pictures of the M-5A which has an M-5B unit with matching paint. Both are very nice. I would guess the B-unit is more of an auxiliary fuel tender rather than a powered B-unit. I can't seem to fathom why it would have one, though. It's not used as often as the M-4 is.
Attached Thumbnails
East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-m-4-pic-2.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-m-4-pic-3.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-m-4-pic-4.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-m-4-pushing-no.-15.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-m-5a-b.jpg  

East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-m-6.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-mount-union-yard-hoppers.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-no.-14-1.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-no.-14-2.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-no.-14-3.jpg  

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail
Old 12-24-2009, 04:21 AM
Engineer

I have two more batches of pics, but only 11 pics left to show. The final post will have 1 pic on it and I am going to post up the total number of pics in the entire thread.

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail
Old 12-24-2009, 04:36 AM
Engineer

Fill-in Pics 4th Batch

Here is the 4th Batch of pics that I am posting up.

The pic of the caboose that was torched approximately one year after the pic was originally taken is in here.
Attached Thumbnails
East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-mount-union-yard-hoppers.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-no.-14-1.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-no.-14-2.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-no.-14-3.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-old-caboose.jpg  

East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-parlor-2.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-side-load-hopper-yard.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-speeders.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-trackwork-cars-siding.jpg   East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-view-rockhill-yard-throat.jpg  

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail
Old 12-24-2009, 04:53 AM
Engineer

Fill-in Pics Final Batch

Here is the final EBT pic that I have in my library.

I have absolutely no idea what this thing is. It is obviously a car of some sort, but I don't know. I think it might be, by chance, a dynamometer car. I have never seen one before so I haven't the foggiest idea of what it actually is. If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
East Broad Top Equipment Pictures-what-earth-.jpg  

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail
Old 12-24-2009, 05:01 AM
Engineer

I just counted all of the images.

There are a total of 72 pictures of East Broad Top equipment on this thread...

Can you say somebody doesn't have a life? *cough*Brian*cough, cough*

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail
PLEASE REGISTER
If this is your first visit to The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, and view the full contents of TheWhistlePost.com including the Photo Gallery, Video/Audio/Text Chat, Classified Ads, Photo Contests, Social Groups, and more! Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please read FAQ. Thanks for joining us! We look forward to chatting with you and seeing your layout!

Click here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login above to gain full access to the site.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:13 PM
Conductor

Send a message via Yahoo to sdkid
Great pics Brian. We'll be waiting for project pics.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:00 PM
Engineer

lol. You may have to wait a while. I don't have parts to do anything right now. I can kitbash one of those flatcars with benches now, but I'd have to make the benches. I won't be doing all of this equipment, but I wanted to share this stuff with you guys. I only originally intended to just put up pics of the passenger equipment, but then I found all of this other stuff.

I'll bet most of you guys never knew they bought diesels, did ya?

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail
Old 12-29-2009, 02:19 AM
Fireman

I stumbled upon this thread accidentally and wanted to correct some information. No offence to anyone.

>I found a lot of stuff that I didn't even know they owned.

We have lots of stuff people don't know about.

>flatcars w/ benches and railings...

The flatcars w/ benches as well as the open boxcars were made to increase capacity. As you can see from the list of equipment, we only have a few actual passenger cars due to passenger service ending two years before freight operations ending.

>The odd-looking hopper without bay doors underneath is one of the very >few EBT Side-dumping hopper cars. They were specially built and only 10 of >them are still remaining and can also be found somewhere in the yard.

Unfortunately there are only a couple left today, not 10. The others were rebuilt into other configurations.

>The large, odd-looking car that looks like a giant weight is exactly what it >looks like. It's a giant weight car used to calibrate the three different scales >that the EBT maintained and operated during it's freight days. I have >absolutely no idea where it is now.

It isn't really all that big. It's 15 tons which is pea size compared to a standard gauge scale test car. It's in Rockhill and is sometimes outside on display during summer. It was built by the EBT.

>The tank car is the only tank car the EBT ever owned. It was originally a >flatcar, but had railings attached to accomodate the tank. This was simply >because of, or rather lack of, an operating water column. During the early >tourist days, the water column was not operable.

EBT actually had 3 or 4 different tank cars. The one left today is the only still around. It was built as a flatcar as you state but I wanted to clearify the tank was added during the freight operations many many years ago. It was convenient to use it during the early tourist years to fill the steam engine just like you said.

>EBT #3, an 0-6-0 steam switcher, was purchased as a standard gauge >locomotive to switch the yard in Mount Union and also used to switch the >coal cleaning plant not far from the yard.

The cleaning plant was smack in the middle of the Mt. Union yard.

>It is currently stored next to the Mount Union Connecting Railroad >Company's Plymouth Industrial locomotive, still in the Mount Union area, not >surprisingly. The enginehouse is in the middle of Mt. Union, behind a bank, which is next to a McDonalds.

>*Note 1: Notice that most of the steam locos are bearing white flats, >signalling that they are being run as extras.

It's really just for show. The trains are scheduled 11 am, 1 pm and 3 pm.

>They ordered two industrial locomotive shortly before 1995 from the >Plymouth Locomotive Works(I'm not sure what they were called then) to be >used to move equipment around.

Our two Plymouth diesels have been here for quite a while. M-4 arrived in 1978, and M-6 in 1992. They were not purchased new. Plymouth hasn't built a locomotive in a good while.

>GE 55-tonner.... It is normally seen working during the fall and winter doing >heavy yard chores and sometime helping to clear snow off the tracks and >perform maintenance tasks on the tracks.

We don't run in the winter and therefore don't use the 55-tonner to clear snow off the track. M-7 is used mainly for backup for the steam engine and also pulls trains for the Fall Spectacular.

>The M-3 gas-electric track car was built with a small Ford engine under it's >hood and was used mainly to watch the workers to make sure they >weren't "slacking off" or anything. You can now pay for a special ticket for a >small group, probably only four or five people at a time, to take a ride down >the dual gauge tracks used by the Rockhill Trolley Museum.

M-3 is not gas-electric. It's gas-mechanical...like a car. I'm not sure about the 'slacking off' part. It was an inspection vehicle. The M-3 and speeder rides go south on the EBT main, not on the dual gauge of the trolley museum.

>I also found pics of the M-5, several pics of freight equipment, current pics >of 0-6-0 #3 in Mount Union Enginehouse, which was recently restored for >regular use.

Just to clearify, the enginehouse was restored for use, not EBT #3.

>I found a pic of another caboose, which was regrettably intentionally >torched after the EBT ceased operations and sold to the Kovalchick Salvage >Co. It was later realized that they torched a piece of important history and >go to great lengths to prevent more fires. A coach was also set ablaze the >same time the caboose was.

This is news to me. I've never heard this before. The two cabooses that we have today, have been the only ones on the EBT since the 20s.

>There is a pic of a large metallic box that appears to be covered in rivets.

That would be the firebox of the steam locomotive.

One final note. Do you have permission to post these photos on this forum?

Keep up your EBT enthusiam!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Engineer

I must ask, ebtrr, are you a member of the FEBT, or are you one of the people that are part of the railroad (not sure what you would call it).

I must also say, I found most of them on another website (for the life of me, I cant remember what site... Ill try and find the web address and put it up so that you guys know where I got them). The others came straight from the website, East Broad Top Railroad Official Site or Friends of the East Broad Top. Im not sure which one is the actual web address. I had originally gotten them off of the website and put them on here because I intend to model some of them, and thought I would share the pics on here.

If I have broken the law through copyright infringement, I am very sorry. A couple of the pics of EBT #3 I took myself (No, I wasn't trespassing. I was with the owner of the Mount Union Connecting Railroad Co. who allowed me access in to the building after I asked him if there were and EBT engines still in the yard. He said yes and showed me EBT #3 and I took them myself. I had no intention whatsoever of copyright infringement if I have done so. I was simply showing them some of the things that I was modelling and found several other different pictures of equipment.

Regarding the caboose and passenger car being set on fire: A book was published named "A Ramble in to the Past with the East Broad Top," which I am currently loaning to my history teacher. When it began to talk about the railroad shutting down and going to the Kovalchick Scrap Co., it had both of those pictures and explained that they were both set on fire as they were thought never to be used again.

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail
Old 06-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Engineer

As a final note on this thread before allowing it to once again slip into slumber:

I would like to thank the member ebtrr for his post correcting some of my information. I have gone through the thread and corrected any faulty information that was corrected by him/her.

I would also like to thank the Kovalchick Salvage Co. for re-opening the railroad for tourist operations in 1960. I can't belive it's been 50 years already. Here's to another 50 more great years on Old Eastie!

I would like to thank the Friends of the East Broad Top for working so dilligently to keep the railroad running and restoring more and more of the railroad, a fragile piece of both American and Pennsylvanian heritage. Keep it up guys! You're doing great!

As a final note, I would like to thank the website The East Broad Top Railroad and their operators and staff for documenting all of the important EBT information that they have. It has come in as a great resource for me and all of my friends modeling the EBT.

With that, I bid you all adeu.

Owner and Chief Operator
North Point Rail
PLEASE REGISTER
If this is your first visit to The Whistle Post - Model Railroad Forum please take the time to register. Registration is required for you to post on the forums. Registration will also give you the ability to track messages of interest, send private messages to other users, and view the full contents of TheWhistlePost.com including the Photo Gallery, Video/Audio/Text Chat, Classified Ads, Photo Contests, Social Groups, and more! Registration is free and takes just a few seconds to complete. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please read FAQ. Thanks for joining us! We look forward to chatting with you and seeing your layout!

Click here to join our community.

If you are already a registered member on the forums, please login above to gain full access to the site.